Tibet is a dream destination for anyone who loves traveling. On the roof of the world, countless snow-capped peaks reach to the sky, topped by the awesome Mt. Everest. More than 1,000 lakes dot the vast highland plateau like blue or green jewels.
The amazing Potala Palace has been "shining like the sun and the moon" for hundreds of years. Tibetan Buddhist prayer flags hang everywhere and beautiful monasteries are the spiritual centers of the Tibetan world. Tibet also has great glaciers, mysterious historical sites, wild animal paradises, and friendly Tibetan people.
No matter whether you just want to have a look at Tibet or want to go deeper to seek out its beauties hidden in remote areas. No matter whether you are a big fan of Tibetan culture or you are more interested in a trekking and camping experience, we are ready to make your dreams of a Tibet tour come true.
Our Customer's Favorite Tibet Tours
The suggested itineraries for a Tibet tour below will give you some inspiration. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to tailor-make any of them or create a trip according to your ideas.
- Holy City and Plateau Scenery
- Everest Base Camp
- The famous Tibetan palaces
- The four representative monasteries
More Recommended Tibet Tours with Remoted Areas
The tours below are for your reference if you would like to explore the west or the east of Tibet, or even have a overland trip to Nepal.
- The lost Guge Kingdom
- A 3-day Kailash Kora
- Peach blossom valley
- Beautiful lakes and hidden glacier
- Holy City and Everest Base Camp
- Great Himalayan Mountains
Tibet Trekking Tours
Tibet is a paradise for hikers. We have selected the best trekking tours in Tibet for your reference. no matter whether you would like to just have a taste of the short trekkings near Lhasa or want to challenge yourself with a multi-day trekking for the amazing plateau scenery, we are happy to help you to plan a once-in-a-life Tibet trekking tour.
- Trekking in the suburbs of Lhasa
- Camping on a Tibetan pasture
- Lhasa highlights
- A 4-day trek to EBC
- Lhasa highlights
- A 4-day trek in great valleys
China Tours including Tibet
Here are some recommended private China tours including Tibet. We are happy to tailor make any of them according to your schedule and interests.
Experience the highest railway to Lhasa from Xining(the most beautiful section), visit Lhasa's essences and the highlights of Beijing and Shanghai.
A bonus of Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an and Tibet and relaxing Yangtze cruise-the most classic travel of China.
Experience ancient flavors, modern taste, unique landscape, and Tibetan Buddhism culture.
Tibet Travel Tips
All foreign travelers need a Tibet Entry Permit for entering Tibet (Travel Permits and Military Permits may also be needed for areas outside Lhasa). Permits can only be obtained by qualified Chinese tour operators and the application process often changes without warning. Foreigners are not allowed to tour Tibet without a local guide.
- Book a tour with us.
- Submit a copy of your passport ID and China visa pages at least 20 days in advance.
- If you work/live in China, you also need to submit a working certificate issued by your company or a proof of residence.
- The Tibet Tourism Bureau will check the documents and send us a paper travel permit 7 days before you enter Tibet.
- We will get the travel permit to you before you board your flight/train to Lhasa.
Foreigners can hardly ever obtain travel permits for March, during Tibetan New Year, when Tibet is closed for political reasons.
We suggest you take a flight that arrives in Lhasa in the morning. Morning flights are more likely to be on time. Flights take around 2 hours from Chengdu, Xi'an, Chongqing, or Kunming, or around 5 hours from Beijing or Shanghai.
We suggest you take a train to Lhasa from Xining or Lanzhou. Then your journey will be a bit shorter and there'll be a higher likelihood of successful booking since there are more trains per day from these two cities than from more distant places.
It takes about 20 hours from Xining or 23 hours from Lanzhou, and the best scenery begins about 10 hours before arriving in Lhasa.
There are also direct trains to Lhasa from Beijing or Shanghai, which we do not recommend: the journey takes over 40 hours.
If you decide to go to Lhasa by train, it's better to have a back-up plan; for example, to fly instead and take the train back. It is much easier to book a train ticket from Lhasa. Taking a train to Tibet will not help with adapting to the high altitude. The train to Lhasa is air-tight and supplies sufficient oxygen, so you'll still need to adapt to the thin air after leaving the train.
Connecting to Tibet via International Flights
- Flying in: Leave no less than 3 hours between flights, if you want to fly first to another city in China and then transfer onto a flight to Tibet. We'll pass your Tibet Entry Permit on to you as you wait for the onward flight.
- By train: If you transfer to a train for Tibet after an international flight, we will send you your scanned permits in advance. Scanned permit printouts are enough for train travel.
- Generally, we recommend you don't travel to Tibet directly after an international flight. The combination of jet-lag and tiredness is likely to make you more vulnerable to altitude sickness. We suggest you spend at least 2 days elsewhere in China and then travel on to Tibet.
About China Highlights
Since 1998 we've guided everyone ranging from US presidents, Australian Geographic and retired backpackers. Our goal is to create unique trips that take you off-the-beaten path, helping you discover China in a more authentic way. Our motto: "Discovery Your Way!"
Top of the World!
From our welcome at the airport with the traditional Tibetan scarves to our departure 3 days later, out time in Lhasa was nothing short of fabulous! Our guide, Tenzin was exceptionally energetic, knowledgeable and friendly. He made sure our time was spent experiencing the many wonderful sites as well as learning about the history and culture of this exciting place.Thank you to China Highlights and their local partners, in particular our fabulous guide Tenzin for organizing and executing a most wonderful trip! more